Travel Safe

Advice for travelling safely Latest news
Tourist at Madrid airport

Information on Brexit for British tourists


After the start of the Brexit process in 2016, and now that the transitional period has ended as of 1 January 2021, the relationship between the United Kingdom and the European Union is based on the “Trade and Cooperation Agreement".To implement the provisions of this Agreement at the national level, the Government of Spain approved a Royal Decree-law on 29 December 2020, with the aim of adequately protecting the interests of citizens and economic operators.Some of the transitional Brexit measures have been extended:-Access to healthcare for an additional six months from 1 January 2022 until 30 June 2022, in relation to Gibraltar.-Driving licences issued by the UK authorities will be valid for driving in Spain for an additional period of two months from 1 January 2022 until 28 February 2022.

Tourist flows at the airport

How is tourism affected by the end of the transition period?

The following information answers the main questions that may arise on the topic.

Do I need a visa to travel to Spain from the United Kingdom?

No. As of 1 January 2021, UK nationals remain exempt from the requirement to be in possession of visas when crossing the European Union's external borders for short-term stays (up to 90 days in any 180-day period). This visa exemption does not provide for the right to work in the Union and is subject to the reciprocity mechanism applicable to third countries.

Open border with the Spanish flag in the background

Will there be any border controls?

As of 1 January 2021, UK nationals travelling to the European Union and the Schengen area are treated as third-country nationals, and therefore subject to thorough checks at the Schengen area border. This means that intended stays in the territory of EU Member States cannot have a duration of more than 90 days in any 180-day period, and UK nationals will have to meet the entry conditions for third-country nationals.

Airport baggage control

What about travelling with pets?

If you travel with pets you can continue to do so, but you will need the British health authorities to issue the corresponding animal health certificate, and you will be required to enter the country at one of the airports or ports authorised to this effect. For more information, visit the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food website.

Pet in a pet travel bag

Will my British driving licence be recognised in Spain?

In Spain, driving licences issued by the UK authorities that are valid and up to date will enable their holders to drive in our country until 28 February 2022. After this period, the arrangements for licences issued in other non-member countries shall apply, in accordance with the rules in force concerning traffic, unless Spain and the United Kingdom reach a bilateral agreement to recognise each other's driving licences.

Tourist driving

Will I have access to the Spanish healthcare system?

Yes, the social security coordination protocol of the Trade and Cooperation agreement between the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community, for one part, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, for the other, envisages this health cover with the UK European Health Insurance Card (UK EHIC) or the UK Global Health Insurance Card (UK GHIC). Contact the British institution to find out which document supporting your rights you are going to be issued with.

Doctor reaching out a hand of support